Wednesday, March 30, 2005

At last! Tyres and tide combine to produce the right result. 132 species in total

A drizzly, damp dawn did not deter me from making the now familiar 50 minute trip to Curbridge, this time without any flat tyres, and with a more favourable tide. I walked along the muddy riverside path for over a mile, initially dipping completely, but having almost given up, I turned back, and there was the drake Red-crested Pochard sat on the mud with two Shelducks. I must have walked past it on the way down! Tickable, or plastic as hell? It stood up, revealing ring-free legs, looked nervous (with the old ‘bouffant hairstyle’), and promptly flew strongly off, with immaculate primaries. Good enough for me - for now at least, the bird gets the benefit of the doubt! Thanks to John Faithfull for the detailed gen on this one.

Also present were a dozen Curlew, about 10 Little Egrets, lots of Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, several Redshanks and a Buzzard, although none of the hoped-for Greenshanks as yet, and no hirundines (can’t say I blame them). Additionally, Wood Anemones were out in abundance, and I saw my first Bluebells and Cowslips in flower.

A late afternoon jaunt to the sewage farm in the Scotch mist was deeply unsuccessful. Still no hirundines!