Monday, May 30, 2005

Two ultras in one day - but all top secret... 182 species in total

I headed out again late afternoon to try for the singing Quail, which Julia and I had actually managed to hear earlier on a car-based jaunt - success! A territorial male Quail whetting away in the flowery fields.

Almost unbelievably, I also relocated a male Montagu's Harrier which I had totally fluked earlier in the day at another site some 15km away - for obvious reasons, I'm not going to go into details, except to say that much hopping up and down, air punching and fruity language were in evidence! A fantastic bonus species spurring me on in the quest for 200 - which now looks possible....but very difficult.




To add to the raptor fun, a distant Red Kite (while not 'needed' for the list) was a very welcome sight.