Saturday, December 31, 2005

"And so, the end is near...." 217 species - the FINAL TOTAL

Well, it had to be done - a nice bright New Year's Eve morning, no commitments, and the joys of my trusty old one hour ride around Cheesefoot Head to behold.

This was always going to be a largely ceremonial ride, but I saddled up, turned my optimism boost up to maximum, and headed off. Dreams of a Rough-legged Buzzard (there was one at Cheesefoot Head in 1975 - so only 30 years late...) evaporated, of course, but I did flush a Brambling among a Chaffinch flock at Lane End Down, and I did see several Bullfinches, which I hereby nominate as the "bikiest" bird of the year - I have seen them on well over half of all rides!

My emotions on returning home? Satisfaction, overwhelmingly, but also relief and even a touch of sadness. The year list had taken on a life of its own, and it'll be sad to think of eZCEYL_2005 disappearing into the ether come midnight tonight. But then again, I always have a Hampshire bike LIFE list to maintain..... Iceland Gull, anyone?